Pizza for date night!! Yes please!! Inspired by my hubby and I’s favourite pizza at the pub. This is a healthy alternative and a great one to get the kids involved. Easy and fun to prepare. My hubby enjoys it with a beer on date nights and my Rylee Brooke is a pine nut fanatic. Pine nuts contribute polyunsaturated fat, are a source of dietary fibre and contain 10-34% protein while the pumpkin is an important source of vitamin A.
Makes 2 pizzas
- 4 rye mountain bread wraps (2 per pizza)
- 1 pumpkin, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 packet of cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1-2 cups spinach
- ½ cup reduced-fat feta, diced
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup fresh basil
- ½ lemon juice
- 1 lemon zest
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup pine nuts, toasted
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180-200 ⁰C.
- Steam sliced pumpkin or if limited for time cook in microwave for approximately 6-7 minutes.
- Place pine nuts into the oven for approx. 5 minutes to toast to a lovely golden brown colour.
- While the pine nuts are cooking, place all remaining pesto ingredients into a food processor. Add the toasted pine nuts at the end and blend until a smooth but slightly crunchy pesto consistency is formed.
- While pumpkin cooks, cut-up the remaining ingredients and begin to assemble each pizza toppings onto 2 layered mountain bread wraps (they are very thin so two is needed to keep the pizza together- each wrap is very low in calories and a great pizza base alternative that gets nice and crispy when cooked).
- Add cooked pumpkin and pine nut pesto on top.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes until crisp.