Who doesn’t love Mexican? Here is a simple and healthy burrito recipe full of colourful veggies, protein and complex carbohydrates. Developed by CSIRO and given the 5-star health rating, BARLEYmax wraps are high in fibre, low GI, aid in digestion and may reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, and some cancers.
- Serves 4
- 500g grass-fed lean beef mince
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- lettuce, diced
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 1-2 carrots, grated
- ½ cup reduced fat cheese
- burrito seasoning (or use below burrito spice mix to make your own healthier alternative)
- 4 wraps (BARLEYmax wraps or rye mountain bread are two solid nutritional options lower in calories, fat and carbohydrates)
- optional additions- 1 can of black beans, ½ avocado, natural or Greek yogurt
Burrito Spice Mix:
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 diced onion
- 2 fresh garlic cloves
- 1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick frypan on medium heat, add onion and cook till lightly brown.
- Add mince to pan and cook until browned.
- Add burrito seasoning and stir to combine.
- Arrange all veggies and toppings into serving bowls.
- Select wrap and fill with desired toppings. Note: wraps may be warmed or toasted if desired.